Thursday, October 29, 2009

Death at a Discount

"Excuse me, where would I be able to find a casket?"

"Oh, sorry! We don't carry them in store. You can check them out online at www.walmart.com. We have multiple selections for less than $900!"

Never before today did I think that was a conversation that I could possibly ever have at Wal-Mart. However, my hopes have been answered. Or something. Before the next person I know passes away, I can suggest that they include in their will to go to Wal-Mart for their classy price-rolled-back casket. Nothing says honoring death like a cheaply made box for you to rot away in.

I shop at Wal-Mart on a regular basis. However, I don't feel that a casket would be a staple item that I would want to purchase there. They all look quite lovely and the descriptions make them seem so comfortable, but I am not picking out a sleeping bed. It's a death bed. And while I may be cheap, I never thought "Gee, I hope they skimp on what I will forever lay in when I'm gone."

Then again, I'm pretty sure I want to get cremated so I'll probably end up in some stainless steel container that costs about 20 bucks. Hmm. Maybe that casket isn't so bad after all?

2 comments:

Holly said...

You are kidding right? Caskets at Walmart? I have to go check this out... that is a little over the top for me...

Stopping by from SITS!

Ley said...

Oh, I wish I were kidding. They were no where to be found when I went to Wal-Mart today though!