Monday, November 2, 2009

Trick-Or-Treating

It is truly amazing what can pass as a Halloween costume these days. I was always under the assumption that I was receiving candy for my creativeness in finding a costume. Therefore, every year that I went trick-or-treating, I dressed up. Every year. I also stopped going at an age where I wasn't getting stared down for being too old. I don't 100% remember that age, however, I know it never felt awkward to go. And I never brought pillowcases. Perhaps I had a different vision of what Halloween was and I probably still do.

Also, trick-or-treaters seem to be getting lazier. Jeans and a sweatshirt pass as a costume You rolled out of bed and came door-to-door for candy? Wow! AMAZING costume! They also just thrust their bag out at you without saying a word, expecting candy. On top of that, the ones that do speak, request specific candy and make you pick through it like you would have to go a 5-year-old, yet they look to be 15. Luckily for us, most of the spoiled brats steered clear from our house and we also scared the crap out of some little kids. Unintentional, but hilarious. Apparently that's what decorations, such as a jar of eyeballs or a fortune telling skull, that sense movement, can be terrifying. Who knew? All I know is they'll be out again next year. :)

3 comments:

Holly said...

my kids were never allowed to go T/T if they didn't wear a true costume... my kids are past the T/T stage and it is a bit sad, i liked getting them ready to go out... my daughter and her friends had a costume party this year, i enjoyed helping to get them ready... there are a few pics on my blog...

Melissa B. said...

As a high school teacher, I absolutely close my door to big kids w/o costumes. SITS sent me by, and I'm glad they did!

Mrs. Scribe Reviews: Looking After Pigeon

Ley said...

Holly Ann: More parents need to be like you!

Melissa: Thanks for the stop! I applaud your boldness. I'll be sure to check out your blog shortly. :)