Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Writing 101

I've always wanted to express myself for a living. Through art. Writing. Whatever. I just wanted to be heard.

I started journaling. Then blogging. Then journaling. Blogging. Journaling. Etc. I went back and forth between private tangible journals and public web posts. Obviously I'm in the blogging phase now.

I attempted drawing comic-book-like-characters. Thought it was too childish. Tried a degree in Marketing and Web Design. Gave up after two semesters. Tried art classes. Hated them. Tried writing poetry. Hated it. Tried writing a novel. Got tired after 100 words. Made cards and scrapbooked. Got lazy. Decided to go to school for Environmental Management. Knew it had nothing to do with writing. I was/am at a dead-end.

So now I stand here. Working as a Scheduler, attending school for Environmental Management, and longing to use my passion for expression as a career, not a hobby. I have the motivation. The want. The drive.

I only have one question.

How exactly am I supposed to pull it off?

3 comments:

Natalie said...

just one question.

if you're certain you have the drive, then why did you quit everything else you started?

it sounds to me like you need something that will include everything you love doing in a way you love doing it. so why did you hate all those things? was it what you were doing that you hated, or how you were doing it?

i don't mean to offend, honestly. i'm genuinely curious even though i have no idea who you are.

-cinderella

Natalie said...

well i certainly hope that you figure something out that not only works for what you want to do, but something that you also enjoy doing.

good luck :-)

Holly said...

i am so in your boat... i am 38, lost my job in May and have no idea what exactly i am supposed to do in this crazy world... i have 63 random college credits and no idea what degree i want to apply them to... you would think at this age i would know... if you find something that helps you figure it all out, please let me know :-)